Sign in to follow this  
Guest KeiraV

Forever Beautiful Forever Young

Guest KeiraV

Is it possible to become immortal? I am curious to see what information people have gathered.Some scientists think we may see it by 2050-2060.I certainly hope not and strongly doubt that we could live longer than a few thousand years. I,myself dont want to live that long.Imo number of suicides would increase at a rate of millions.

What do you think? Do you want to live forever?

• Like 1

I think the transfer of consciousness to machine will happen before we develop the means to make our frail flesh last indefinitely.

I wouldn't mind living forever, even if it meant taking a century long hiatus every now and again to freshen things up. Only the unimaginative are ever truly bored.

Guest KeiraV

Thanks friend... Life is worth living because it has an end. Every beautiful thing has an end and I think only the rich people could afford it if scientists could achieve to make it real.

I don`t think we will ever become immortal and it would cause ww3 if we did achieve biological immortality because services would collapse under the strain of so many people.As Steve Jobs said "death is the single best invention of life" and he was quite right.The world cannot continually reproduce sustainably if people don`t make way for subsequent generations. The scientific literature I have read on the matter show there is some consensus of the theory that there is a maximum human life span of roughly 120 (the oldest verified woman ever was 122).The late Dr Stephen Coles also found that the main cause of death in supercentenarians was a sticky mucas like substance in the artery walls and that it was not correlated with any specific illness just the body not reproducing properly anymore.I can forsee in my lifetime a life expectancy of about 100 with super centenarians becoming as common as perhaps centenarians are. I think the Doctors research priorities are rightly focused on diseases such as Alzheimers ,Cancer Motor Neurone Disease, Parkinsons rather than discovering biological immortality .I do agree Keira that the suicide rate is likely to go up in the future due to secularisation , more demand for assisted dying and more people becoming disconnected from reality through the growth in online communication at the expense of face to face interaction.

Guest Guest

I don`t think we will ever become immortal and it would cause ww3 if we did achieve biological immortality because services would collapse under the strain of so many people.As Steve Jobs said "death is the single best invention of life" and he was quite right.The world cannot continually reproduce sustainably if people don`t make way for subsequent generations. The scientific literature I have read on the matter show there is some consensus of the theory that there is a maximum human life span of roughly 120 (the oldest verified woman ever was 122).The late Dr Stephen Coles also found that the main cause of death in supercentenarians was a sticky mucas like substance in the artery walls and that it was not correlated with any specific illness just the body not reproducing properly anymore.I can forsee in my lifetime a life expectancy of about 100 with super centenarians becoming as common as perhaps centenarians are. I think the Doctors research priorities are rightly focused on diseases such as Alzheimers ,Cancer Motor Neurone Disease, Parkinsons rather than discovering biological immortality .I do agree Keira that the suicide rate is likely to go up in the future due to secularisation , more demand for assisted dying and more people becoming disconnected from reality through the growth in online communication at the expense of face to face interaction.

I think you're confused here. The MAXIMUM human lifespan should be around 130, not 120. It goes against logic and common sense that the verified oldest person ever lived longer than the theoretical upper limit for human aging.

And no, death is not a great invention, Jobs only said it to feel better about his own pending death. A way to come to peace with the inevitable. All death really does is take away every single bit of knowledge, wisdom and experience that a human has accumulated throughout life. What a pointless waste.

I'm not sure if immortality is a blessing or a curse. However, both immortality and death are pretty intimidating because they both last forever. Maybe the best solution is to be aware that your soul will survive but your identity will be wiped out, so you have a fresh life and an empty mind again.

I do think that there might be astonishing medical successes this century, like extending the human life span by a century or so, until the next biological problem appears. The current generation of billionaires, the Google brothers or Peter Thiel are investing billions in fighting death. I could imagine something happening by 2060-70 and I wonder if I would like to stay in the shape of an 80-year old for decades.

• Like 1

Guest KeiraV

I'm not sure if immortality is a blessing or a curse. However, both immortality and death are pretty intimidating because they both last forever. Maybe the best solution is to be aware that your soul will survive but your identity will be wiped out, so you have a fresh life and an empty mind again.

I do think that there might be astonishing medical successes this century, like extending the human life span by a century or so, until the next biological problem appears. The current generation of billionaires, the Google brothers or Peter Thiel are investing billions in fighting death. I could imagine something happening by 2060-70 and I wonder if I would like to stay in the shape of an 80-year old for decades.

Yes , you are right... Many billionaires are trying to make it happen. I am sorry if one is not a billionaire he/she 'll die. :xbones:

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/russian-billionaire-dmitry-itskov-plans-on-becoming-immortal-by-2045

• Like 1

I don't think immortality, as in living forever, is in the cards. Forever lasts very long indeed, the thermodynamics of life isn't good at such time scales. The thought that everybody kicks the bucket eventually I rather like. Even that bastard ..... (fill in you pet hate) won't live.

I can imagine future people may have considerably longer lifespans than we do. I´m not so sure it´s a good idea.

Is it possible to become immortal? I am curious to see what information people have gathered.Some scientists think we may see it by 2050-2060.I certainly hope not and strongly doubt that we could live longer than a few thousand years. I,myself dont want to live that long.Imo number of suicides would increase at a rate of millions.

What do you think? Do you want to live forever?

Ack! Fucks sake we will have to change Twunt status to 1,000,000 posts :-(

SC

This is either a newbie who has, quite brilliantly, hit the ground running or its another case of somebody creating their zilliontieth account.

Yeah, yeah, too cynical..............

Mods: Turkey or Tewksbury?

Aren't we all immortal in the sense that we can, at any given time, ask ourselves "am I alive right now?" The answer will always be "yes" in true Descartes style. Once we die, we won't have the consciousness to actually know that we are dead. So...the timespan between our brain's birth to our brain's death is eternity. Nothing comes before or after eternity.

Aren't we all immortal in the sense that we can, at any given time, ask ourselves "am I alive right now?" The answer will always be "yes" in true Descartes style. Once we die, we won't have the consciousness to actually know that we are dead. So...the timespan between our brain's birth to our brain's death is eternity. Nothing comes before or after eternity.

Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, "I drink therefore I am". - The original MPFC.

That reminds me of the one about the wake when the neighbour said to the widow,

"He looks so happy and serene",

and the widow replied,

"Well, he died in his sleep you see, so he doesn't know he's dead at all yet.

But when he wakes up and finds out that he's dead, the shock of it will kill him."

• Like 2