Can't have a pilot thread without a mention of Chuck Yeager. 90 now, but still seems to be in pretty good health.

These Pilots are all still ok

66137-Dave-Grohl-pilot-thumbs-up-gif-0VMt.gif

• Like 2

Can't have a pilot thread without a mention of Chuck Yeager. 90 now, but still seems to be in pretty good health.

Yeah I was gonna post that but I wasn't sure if this thread wasn't gonna be merged into another one or not.

Did you know that the US army took him up in an F15 to do another supersonic flight in October last year, at the age of 89, on the 65th anniversary of his record breaking flight? This time he wasn't at the controls himself, of course... but still cool.

Yeah I was gonna post that but I wasn't sure if this thread wasn't gonna be merged into another one or not.

Did you know that the US army took him up in an F15 to do another supersonic flight in October last year, at the age of 89, on the 65th anniversary of his record breaking flight? This time he wasn't at the controls himself, of course... but still cool.

Yeah I heard about that. Neatly enough it was on the same day Baumgartner broke the sound barrier.

Ken Wallis 97, built and flew "Little Nellie" for You Only Live Twice. Still setting world flight records at 89!

Eric "Winkle" Brown 94, flown more aircraft types than anyone else in history.

Joe Kittinger 84, held the record for longest skydive before Felix Baumgartner.

Guest Pedro

That'll be a unique pick for me on DDP. Must get a broad sheet obit I would have thought.

Pedro

That'll be a unique pick for me on DDP. Must get a broad sheet obit I would have thought.

Pedro

Already got a BBC one. I only noticed it after I had posted the last update. Oh well, there's always next time...

Couple of notable pilots have expired -

Long Qiming, last of the Flying Tigers, at 91.

Jerrie Mock, the first woman to fly solo around the world, at 88.

Ken Wallis 97, built and flew "Little Nellie" for You Only Live Twice. Still setting world flight records at 89!

Eric "Winkle" Brown 94, flown more aircraft types than anyone else in history.

Joe Kittinger 84, held the record for longest skydive before Felix Baumgartner.

95 year old "Winkle" will be the guest on the 3000th Desert Island Discs.

Jim Cross who flew Air Force One and was an aide to Lyndon B Johnson, 90. http://www.abc3340.com/story/29533482/former-air-force-one-pilot-for-lbj-dies-in-texas-at-90

Author of Around The World With LBJ: My Wild Ride As Air Force One Pilot, White House Aide, And Personal Confidant.

Swear to God I was just looking at this thread yesterday YW thinking funny it isn't used much.

SC

Louis (Lou) Lenart, an American fighter pilot hailed as “The Man who saved Tel Aviv” during the opening days of Israel’s War of Independence, has died at 94 from heart and kidney failure. http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/jewish-world-news/1.667101

He was also a producer in Hollywood and co-founded the Israeli Air Force. http://www.jewishjournal.com/obituaries/article/lou_lenart_wwii_marine_pilot_hollywood_producer_and_co_founder_of_the_israe

OK it didn't crash at all, but where the hell else am I to put this rare event?

An American Airlines flight from Phoenix to Boston was been diverted Monday to Syracuse, N.Y., after the captain became ill and later died. (Link indicated in mid-flight)

Airline spokeswoman Andrea Huguely says Flight 550 was diverted shortly after 7 a.m. Monday and the first officer safely landed the plane with 147 passengers and five crew members onboard.

SC

OK it didn't crash at all, but where the hell else am I to put this rare event?

An American Airlines flight from Phoenix to Boston was been diverted Monday to Syracuse, N.Y., after the captain became ill and later died. (Link indicated in mid-flight)

Airline spokeswoman Andrea Huguely says Flight 550 was diverted shortly after 7 a.m. Monday and the first officer safely landed the plane with 147 passengers and five crew members onboard.

SC

Pilots might have been the thread?

Edited by DevonDeathTrip
Posts moved
  • Like 1

forgot about this thread. ugh. Thanks!

forgot about this thread. ugh. Thanks!

Just a senior moment dear, I don't think you've got, what's it called? Al Zimmers or summat?

• Like 1