Sign in to follow this  
Estuarian Float

Est.1993's Half-year Deathpool

Alright! Ive been thinking about forming a new death pool while waiting to join more Dec 31st deadline death pools and keeping my interest in the death pool community. Its also for people who were interested in yearly deathpools but missed the deadline. I hope everyones past my Barack Obama comment. ;) My death pool would be 6 months long -starting on July 1st and January 1st each year. Ive also thought about allowing an unlimited number of celebrity picks, but having a score system based on percentage of picks hit or something like that.

I’d also like your suggestions for any score system factors, gimmicks, obit sources, website display, record board listings, prizes, etc, whatever…

I want at least EIGHT people to tell me they would join my pool if I formed it. If I don’t get EIGHT people, then I wont bother. Hope you’ll like it!

Ive also thought about allowing an unlimited number of celebrity picks, but having a score system based on percentage of picks hit or something like that.

That would be a dreadful idea.

Some of the members on this site have lists that stretch to an unhealthy length. Might I suggest for your own sanity (and for practical reasons) you scrap that idea before the jokers come along? ;)

Ive also thought about allowing an unlimited number of celebrity picks, but having a score system based on percentage of picks hit or something like that.

That would be a dreadful idea.

Some of the members on this site have lists that stretch to an unhealthy length. Might I suggest for your own sanity (and for practical reasons) you scrap that idea before the jokers come along? ;)

The percentages would sort that out. I assume EST means the points awarded for 5 hits from a list of 20 being equal to 25 hits from a list of 100 etc. Here endeth Maths 101. Where it might fall down is a person picking just one very very sick person guarenteed to die giving them a 100% record. You'd need to set a minimum number of names if that's how your scoring system works.

By the way, regretfully I will not be undertaking your competition but good luck.

I like the idea. But like Mono says you best set a minimum number of name picks. You say you want a minimum of eight players - please count me in. And like Windy said I'll add that you probably should set a maximum number of name picks too.

So I say minimum number of listed name picks to be 11, just like the number of football team. Say you name 3 subs too - and if you have a death from your 11, then you can bring in a sub and maybe if lucky, in time score with those ones too.

"score system factors" - well I've been thinking about doing a pool using the subtraction system. You get 124 points per death (age of oldest person ever noted) minus their own age at death.

Aye, the west Cumbrian contingent are up for joining. Re the six month thing; I'll probably do another Deathrace on 1 Jan which should - in theory - be over in six months. I think we've been unlucky this year, we had a winner in early Feb of 2009. Obviously, I'd join yours if it started on 1 January too, but I'd suggest we don't make them too similar.

If it's six months starting in July you could do some time-based stuff, adding a Christmas bonus for those who cark on 25 December, or summat.

Other than that I think it would work best if it had a distinct identity. Summat that strikes me as a yawning gap would be a theme team deadpool. CP's competition is coming to an end for good on 31 Aug by the looks of things so there's deffo a distinct gap in the theme team market.

The deadline for this pool will be June 30 Eastern Time Zone. If you Europeans arent familiar, thats New York. I live in Indiana.

Heres what Im thinking for obit sources:

USA Today

CNN

BBC

The Independent

Legacy.com's featured obituaries

any other suggestions?

Ideas for Bonuses. Tell me which ones you like:

Still in office (politician died while still in office)

Cancelled (actor died while starring in a current TV program)

Heart Attack/Stroke

Birthday

Unique Pick

Born/Died in Indiana/Kentucky (I was born in Kentucky, raised in Indiana)

Scoring system:

I probably will do the 120 minus age. The percentage was just a thought. Maybe a team must have a minimum of 10 picks and a maximum of 40.

Display:

Im sure I wont make mini profiles for each pick like the DDP. Maybe just an exit profile for each one that dies. Im not sure what sitemaking service to use. Im thinking either Wordpress or Webs.com.

Prize:

I think it would be great for the prize to the winner to be a package of items relating to each of their hits. Say you won with three hits. Michael Jackson, Kama Chinen, and Glen Bell. In your package, you would get a Thriller album, a flag of Formosa, and a piece of Taco Bell memorabilia. Im just afraid something goes wrong and the winner doesnt receive the package.

I would join. I missed all my pools this year due to my mother's hospitalization, so I've been out of the running this year (not that I ever score, but it's the thought that counts).

I agree with the minimum number, because the first thing that crossed my mind was to come up with one really, really sick person even before I read any of the posts following the first one.

I'm not interested in the swag. I have enough crap in my house, and besides, I do this for the *ahem* intellectual stimulation it provides.

I'd be in although, like CA, my first thought was "I'll pick one really sick person". A minimum of 10 sounds good; I can't see myself submitting more than 20-30, and that would be if I really didn't care or not if I won. The promise of swag, however, entices me to pick less and better... of course, betting that most people will be picking Abdelbaset Al-Megrahi, I'd hate to be on the receiving end of a package that includes something related to that hit. ^_^

120 minus age is a good 'un. Like the idea of bonuses for those carking it at work, sort of thing. Re the variable number in a team, not so sure about that. I mean, EVERYONE, could work hard to get some good picks and then pack out the other 40 places by trawling the DDP, leaving you with a hell of a job on scoring all those deaths.

I'm Joining

A Few Bonus Suggestions:

Epidemic Bonus: Where sombody picks two people who die of the same thing with nobody in between (e.g. Robert Novak & Ted Kennedy both died of Brain Tumour) Natural Causes dose not count

Aniversary Bonus: Dying on the Anaversery of a Life changing event that happed to the person picked

Costar/Sibling Bonus: If sombody dies on the anaverary of the deah of one of their siblings or co-stars

Namesake Bonus: If two celebs on your list die consecutivley (e.g. I susspose Bobby Robson & Robert Novak Were kinda like that both of their names could be shortened to Bob)

Halloween Bonus: Do I have to explain this one

Okay, I got on the internet to create the site to host my deathpool, but I have a problem. Whats my theme?? Could it be my DDP name, StarDust and have solar nebulas and shining dust? Could it be a different theme with each go? Ticking clock towers, night skies, and other goth themes? I think Im gonna go with Wordpress and not Webs, because Webs has always given me trouble.

Confirmed Yes ^_^

Rotten Ali

Vaagheid

Maryportfuncity

CarolAnn

CanadianPaul

The Unknown Man

888-333

Confirmed Yes ^_^

Rotten Ali

Vaagheid

Maryportfuncity

CarolAnn

CanadianPaul

The Unknown Man

888-333

I'll be your 8th.

Confirmed Yes ^_^

Rotten Ali

Vaagheid

Maryportfuncity

CarolAnn

CanadianPaul

The Unknown Man

888-333

I'll be your 8th.

Thank You! Development of the pool is speeding up and going well. The pool is centered around the theme of DUST and the URN. All hits from the pool go into the urn. The prize will be urn-related. That will be the trophy, whether real or just a jpeg of one.

The pool is here

Take a look, tell me what you think, what needs to be done. And too, about the "Incumbent" bonus. I dont understand how royalty works. Should I say "no royalty"?

Guest Marjorie Dawes

The pool is open! PLEASE alert me if I left out any crucial info regarding rules or entry. You get 25 picks. Have fun!

The pool is open! PLEASE alert me if I left out any crucial info regarding rules or entry. You get 25 picks. Have fun!

Woohoo! *looking for my dartboard*

Send your team name, 25 celebrities, and 2 alternates to dustpool2010@yahoo.com

Can I PM you? (I dont use Yahoo!)

Umm. I dont think you need yahoo to send an email to someone with yahoo, but sure you can just PM me.

I'm following pretty much the same strategy as CarolAnn, but I have a suggestion: can we include the New York Times for obituaries? Obviously a very reputable publications that catches obituaries for some more esoteric, yet cultured names.

I just added NY Times. I was trying to think of another major US source, but couldnt so thanks!