themaninblack

Assisted Suicides

Dr Peter Saunders, director of the campaign group Care Not Killing, said the show was a "cynical attempt to boost television ratings".

He said: "The danger is that we start to believe in a story that there is such a thing as a life not worth living."

If I was diagnosed with something like Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis I'd eat a gun as soon as I left the doctor's office. None of this waiting until I need help to die.

Guest Guest
Dr Peter Saunders, director of the campaign group Care Not Killing, said the show was a "cynical attempt to boost television ratings".

He said: "The danger is that we start to believe in a story that there is such a thing as a life not worth living."

If I was diagnosed with something like Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis I'd eat a gun as soon as I left the doctor's office. None of this waiting until I need help to die.

Ah, but would you, or would you try to live your life to the full until the symtoms of your disease meant you had to ask for help?

Ah, but would you, or would you try to live your life to the full until the symtoms of your disease meant you had to ask for help?

No.

Eluana Englaro, "Italy's Terry Schiavo" was taken to a clinic last night, who have volunteered to remove the feeding tubes that have kept her alive for the last 17 years.

Eluana Englaro, "Italy's Terry Schiavo" was taken to a clinic last night, who have volunteered to remove the feeding tubes that have kept her alive for the last 17 years.

Good call my son! :rolleyes:

I only hope for the rest of us that she doesn't snuff it on the 13th... :unsure:

Eluana Englaro might not be snuffing it at all now - Italy's government has issued an emergency decree preventing the removal of her feeding tubes, right at the eleventh hour. I thought the points were in the bag. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7875528.stm

Eluana Englaro might not be snuffing it at all now - Italy's government has issued an emergency decree preventing the removal of her feeding tubes, right at the eleventh hour. I thought the points were in the bag. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7875528.stm

No, just her waste.

Rumours are circulating wikipedia that Englaro has died... no sources available to confirm as of yet.. possibly a hoax i guess

Rumours are circulating wikipedia that Englaro has died... no sources available to confirm as of yet.. possibly a hoax i guess

BBC have just reported it on their crawler

Link

BBC have just reported it on their crawler

Link

A massive points boost for The Living End! At least the rest of us know what to chase...

So very sad. I've been watching the story quite closely over the weekend and I really admired the strength and dignity of Eluana Englaro's father, Beppino Englaro. He had fought court battles for over a decade to end her life humanely and right at the very last he had to endure Silvio Burlusconi's attempts to prolong his daughter's suffering. While maintaining a very dignified press silence, he also had to cope with the care of his wife, who is currently dying of cancer.

I've never been much of a fan of Silvio Burlusconi, but his attempts to override the Italian consitution this weekend and turn his country from a democracy in to some sort of theocracy at the beck and call of The Vatican have made for pretty grim reading. Luckily, the temperamental nature of Italian politics means he won't be around too long before someone else takes over at the top.

Noel Martin is dead...

...sorry Maryport! :(

Noel Martin is dead...

...sorry Maryport! :(

This one was 86. Doubt the other Noel will last that long.

Wrong Noel Martin...

Yes. It was a joke.... :(

Wrong Noel Martin...

Yes. It was a joke.... :unsure:

I know I realised that after posting... :(

Sir Edward Downes, the conductor, and his wife Lady Joan, have ended their lives together at the Swiss assisted suicide clinic Dignitas. They are survived by their children, the finely named Caractacus and Boudicca.

That's terrible news :crossbone:

Handley, Hickox and Downes all within the space of a year. Three of Britain's finest conductors of recent times.

Nan Maitland, founder of the Society for Old Age Rational Suicide. Not only could she talk the talk, but she also walked the walk, so to speak.

I wonder if travel agents are asked to inform the police of the purchase of one way tickets to Switzerland?

Suicide tourism may be dying in Switzerland.

Could be a mixed blessing. On the positive side some of those most in need of the service might hire a coach and go mob handed right away. Be a few unique picks cashed in on the DDP if they did.