Sign in to follow this  
Death Star

Vincent O'brien

This thread is the place to discuss Vincent O'Brien.

• Like 2

Four and a half years since the first and last post on this thread. Let's hope it sees a bit more action in 2009.

According to wikipedia he should only be 92 this year - not 98. :referee:

In 2001 he was voted the greatest influence in horse racing history, according to a worldwide vote hosted by The Racing Post newspaper.

The above from his Wiki page. S'funny, such a major figure but in the last half decade we've managed to say so much more about Richard O' Sullivan, Al Lewis and Clive Dunn.

Vincent O'Brien has died at 92.

About God Damned time someone else died...

Two and a half hours and all we can come up with is a cursory shrug from Windsor - is this the most low-key death in DL history? If it'll cheer you lot up he was my DDP reserve and, as far as I can tell, went unselected in the main draw.

Anyway, 3rd success of the year, hip hip hooray, long live the deathlist and all that jazz. :banghead:

Two and a half hours and all we can come up with is a cursory shrug from Windsor - is this the most low-key death in DL history? If it'll cheer you lot up he was my DDP reserve and, as far as I can tell, went unselected in the main draw.

Nobody really cares about Vincent O'Brien. We still have him as 98 - he was 92.

Anyway, 3rd success of the year, hip hip hooray, long live the deathlist and all that jazz. :banghead:

I was going to make a comment, until I realised that he's not the geezer that did the scary voice in the Thriller video.

Is anyone going to explain who he is? I notice his death is so irrelevant that the home page still says 2 deaths this year. I'd guess it will get updated some time in July.

I had forgotten he was on the list.

Is anyone going to explain who he is? I notice his death is so irrelevant that the home page still says 2 deaths this year. I'd guess it will get updated some time in July.

Since the person who updates the front page* hasn't logged on since 3rd April, I wouldn't hold your breath. **

As for VOB, he's possibly the greatest ever racehorse trainer on both the level and over jumps, winning three Grand Nationals, three Cheltenham Gold Cups and six Epsom Derbys. Whether you think that ranks him somewhere in between the best postman who ever walked the earth and the world's supreme apple peeler is entirely your call. Obviously he wasn't a major talent like La Goody or Susan 'voice of an angel, face through a mangle' Boyle, but the lad did a fair job in his chosen profession.

* I guess HCW/DWB/FF also have the power, since it only took a day.

** 'Fameless Filly-Fancier Falls at Final Fence' or 'Flogging a Dead Horse Trainer' perhaps?

I had forgotten he was on the list.

Ditto. But well done to Deathlist nonetheless!

Seriously, who cares?

But congrats to those who picked him to be on their DL this year! Great job!

Seriously, who cares?

I do, but it doesn't surprise me in the least that you don't.

handjob.gif

Seriously, who cares?

handjob.gif

You are now among my favourite members, mainly because of posting that smiley. :P

Fell at the last?

You are now among my favourite members, mainly because of posting that smiley. :P

Aw, that's nice 25.gif

Seriously, who cares?

handjob.gif

I have to agree & propose that someone is hereby allowed to use that smiley in response after every time BC Alum posts.

Seriously, who cares?

handjob.gif

I have to agree & propose that someone is hereby allowed to use that smiley in response after every time BC Alum posts.

I'm sure the mods could save us some time and set up a bot that automatically responds to their post with nothing but that smiley. :)

handjob.gif

Is that smiley shaving using an invisible razor, or cleaning his teeth with an invisible brush? Whichever it is, nice to see good hygiene being promoted on a community friendly site like the DL. I propose a minor knighthood for Toast's services to mankind.

Back to VOB, I honestly couldn't say I'd heard of him, but I'm not much one for the ponies. His career achievements do seem impressive, and low hanging fruit he may have been, we needed to get back in the winner's circle.

For his DL deadline, might I humbly propose, "And.....he's off".

Guest d3ranged

Ididnt know him, but then I dont know everyone on the list...that's the good part, you learn to appreciate the death of someone famous in their own circle....Dai wasnt someone I'd heard of until he was on the list, but there we go.

It's a game, just like life.....we all have fun till the last...even the famous[/size]

Looks like it's just me, harry and doubtless that Armitage Shanks geezer that were aware of the great V O'B then. Oh well.

Can't take credit for the smiley really, it's from here, and as you can see I was quite restrained .... :P

Thanks for the offer of a knighthood, CR (what do you mean, minor!), but a Damehood, if that's the right word, would be more appropriate in my case :)