Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Alexander Litvinenko

Russian Dissident Alexander Litvinenko has been poisoned allegedly by the KGB.

I don't know about you, but I think we have a high new entry to the DDP possibles chart! :skull:

• Like 1

It appears he has been struck with a poison called Thallium

Read about it here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thallium

Thallium, a very nasty substance, he may not make it to Jan 1st!

It took me most of the day to remember the name Graham Young, he used Thallium to poison people he worked with. He also kept a diary of thier symptoms as they died! Nice bloke :ghost:

Sickbed pictures, he might not live much longer but he wins easily in the Duncan Goodhew lookalike contest.

''Yuri, I told you to slip him Valium, not Thallium!''

First they screw up trying to kill the Ukranian PM, now the KGB botches what should have been an even more straightforward assassination attempt. When added to the CIA's failure to find any WMD in Iraq, I've come to the conclusion that modern spy agencies are pretty much rubbish. Where are SMERSH or SPECTRE when the world needs 'em?

It's not the first time this has happened. Remember Georgy Markov, the man killed by a 'poisoned umbrella'?

It's not the first time this has happened. Remember Georgy Markov, the man killed by a 'poisoned umbrella'?

That's sort of my point, ML. Back in the day not only did spies come up with the outrageously ingenious modus operandi of a poison tipped umbrella, it actually worked. Now, despite all the fancy new potions and poultices available, all they can do is make the guy look 20 years older. And balder. Much, much balder.

Same thing holds true for the modern terrorist. At least the IRA had the cojones to go after Maggie Thatcher, at a Tory party conference no less. Nowadays it's all about getting on a bus somewhere and blowing up 25 complete innocents. Any fool could do that.

When I were a lad......

Take yer points guys but there are two things worth considering before we label this a cak handed attempt.

i - Modern survellience makes culprits easier to spot and track, a slow acting poison means that even if M15 had someone under survellience s/he could have been out of the country before the crime was spotted.

ii - Maybe the point of this gesture was to show it could be done, in which case a lingering will he/won't he die debate as his bone marrow totally fails, achieves the desired result because it serves as a high profile, lingering reminder to others.

.....At least the IRA had the cojones to go after Maggie Thatcher, at a Tory party conference no less....

No, if they had balls they could have snipered the Queen with ease - details of where she'll be are available months in advance.

By relying on a bomb, they were always leaving it chance, hence terrorising, rather than actually doing.

And as any former soldier will tell you, the IRA have always been better at selling crack to kids than their planning ability...

Snipering the Queen.....might've been counter productive when it came to raising funds in the USA.

Snipering the Queen.....might've been counter productive when it came to raising funds in the USA.

Im not so sure, they still got lots of money and guns after blowing up Louis Mountbatten.

I notice the Italian guy he also met with on the fateful day is called Scaramella, which is close enough to Scaramanga to make me wonder if he has three nipples and a midget butler named Nick Nack...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_with_..._Gun_%28film%29

Gone :(:flame::lol:

Top marks for a most well timed first post - may I extend you a warm welcome to the board.

Probably the shortest stay in my DDP list... :(

Well, these things are done more efficiently these days eg. no more slowly killing deposed Emperors with arsenic impregnated wallpaper.

Never ever took the trouble to list him on mine - since its a sod to spell and these nasty russian spy tricks are all too effective in a short space of time. The next questions must be to find the exact cause of death and a launch a full investigation of the material handed over and as to who was responsible for this henus crime. Betting starts on those who are ex KGB members -

oh was that a previous job than Putin had?

Look who was being critisized?

oh - looks like that Mr Putin's in the frame yet again!

As a child of the Cold War I can't get over how the world has changed. An ex-Russian spy dies in mysterious circumstances and we care about it. Now that is new. Spies die sometimes. You see it in James Bond films.

Not thallium, but polonium.

Perhaps he didn't 'ingest' it. Maybe he could have ben subject to some device, like a microwave,

so it passes into his body, without him noticing at the time?

Update: Polonium could only have been ingested as the alpha-waves cannot penetrate the skin,

so that's my little theory put to bed....