Sign in to follow this  
Phantom

H-h-h-h-hancock's Half Hour

I was just glancing through websites after the news of Henry McGee from the Benny Hill show had died, I realised that vitually the entire cast of The Benny Hill Show have died.

So I got thinking about the cast of Hancock's Half Hour.

The main stars the lad himself, Sid James, Kenneth Williams & Hattie Jacques have all left us except for

Bill Kerr (b. 1924)

and other regulars

Moira Lister (b. 1923)

Hugh Lloyd (b. 1923)

Andree Melly (b. 1932)

and of course the show's writers

Ray Galton (b. 1930)

Alan Simpson (b. 1929)

Does anyone have any details of the health status of any of these? As far as I'm aware Galton & Simpson are both doing fine and are still writing

• Like 1

Hugh Lloyd still alive!! A career in comedy and not funny - he has to be admired.

As far as I'm aware and according to the Tony Hancock Appreciation Society website, Hugh Lloyd is still alive. The only one I can see who has done anything recently has been Bill Kerr in a recent production of Peter Pan. Moira and Andree don't seem to have done anything for the past 15 years

Hugh Lloyd was an episode of Doc Martin a few months ago. Doesn't seem to have changed much.

Back onto Henry MacGee, his obits mentioned that he was in a nursing home. You don't think it was the nursing home do you? If so they've got a bed free

Back onto Henry MacGee, his obits mentioned that he was in a nursing home. You don't think it was the nursing home do you? If so they've got a bed free

You think it's the same nursing home as Dicky O? maybe they're killing off their patients one by one :crossbone:

perhaps we should wait until Keith Harris is admitted before we contact them and ask if they do requests :crossbone:

Guest Luvvietony

Reference Hugh Lloyd. I was in a film with him just a few months ago. Called Griffin. He told the director he would have to have all his lines on cue cards because his memory had gone. They wrote them all out and then he recalled every single one without once looking at a card! He is in his 80s and quite frail in a crusty, wispy-haired kind of way. Film will go straight to the £1 bin at Blockbusters I imagine. x

Hugh Lloyd still alive!! A career in comedy and not funny - he has to be admired.

Give the straight man a break here! I've no end of admiration for the man, he was in 'Hugh and I' with Terry Scott, a man supposed to be funny who was tragically inept. Any human with normal levels of tolerance would have probably snapped and murdered the bumbling fatso on the spot but Hugh dug deep, thought of the money and soldiered on. I reckon the guy's reserves of inner strength were proven then and there. No wonder he's outlasted the others in staying alive.

exactly - why else be called the 'straight' man? without the counter-balance of seriousness to go up against, the kind of comedy that terry scott and hancock - to wildly varying degrees, admittedly - espoused becomes useless. stone me, they'll be saying everyone's a clown next. is that funny - i ask you, is that funny? etc etc (continued somewhere in hancock script...)

anyway - hugh lloyd fulfilled a similar function opposite peggy mount in 'lollipop loves mr mole', which must be early seventies as i remember it as a kid. he wasn't funny, she was (debatable, i know): he was the foil for her to rant against in the manner proscribed as funny.

actually, he's a cracking droll, and would probably have been brilliant in beckett or pinter.

Guest Ange

Met Hugh Lloyd last weekend in Eastbourne, UK. We were staying at the Chatsworth Hotel and so was he and his lady friend.

They were a charming pair and I have nothing but respect for him. Go Hugh! x

Lady friend?

Are we dealing with an octagenarian sex machine here?

Moira Lister who played Hancock's girlfriend in the first series of Hancock's Half Hour died on Saturday at the age of 84

Came across this thread, so thought I'd list the survivors as of today who are relevant:

Ray Galton (b. 1930)
Alan Simpson (b. 1929)

Andree Melly (b. 1932)

Warren Mitchell (b. 1926)

Rolf Harris (b. 1930)

Burt Kwouk (b. 1930)

Anne Reid (b. 1935)

Liz Fraser (b. 1930)

I've only included original TV and radio and not the re-recordings made in 2014.

• Like 3

List Updated for Warren Mitchell:

Ray Galton (b. 1930)
Alan Simpson (b. 1929)

Andree Melly (b. 1932)

Warren Mitchell (b. 1926; d.2015)

Rolf Harris (b. 1930)

Burt Kwouk (b. 1930)

Anne Reid (b. 1935)

Liz Fraser (b. 1930)

If you hear Mitchell in the episode where he plays a doctor, you wouldn't know it was him....

• Like 1

List Updated for Burt Kwouk:

Ray Galton (b. 1930)
Alan Simpson (b. 1929)

Andree Melly (b. 1932)

Rolf Harris (b. 1930)

Burt Kwouk (b. 1930; d.2016)

Anne Reid (b. 1935)

Liz Fraser (b. 1930)

List Updated for Burt Kwouk:

Ray Galton (b. 1930)

Alan Simpson (b. 1929)

Andree Melly (b. 1932)

Rolf Harris (b. 1930)

Burt Kwouk (b. 1930; d.2016)

Anne Reid (b. 1935)

Liz Fraser (b. 1930)

I didn't know Liz Fraser was as old as that.

My first ever unique hit. I'll update the list.

Ray Galton (b. 1930)
Alan Simpson (b. 1929; d. 2017)

Andree Melly (b. 1932)

Warren Mitchell (b. 1926; d. 2015)

Rolf Harris (b. 1930)

Burt Kwouk (b. 1930; d. 2016)

Anne Reid (b. 1935)

Liz Fraser (b. 1930)

There's big news about Rolf Harris today too !

Am I wrong or did they miss out Burt Kwouk at the BAFTAS In Memoriam? Are they saving him for the TV ceremony d'ya think?

Am I wrong or did they miss out Burt Kwouk at the BAFTAS In Memoriam? Are they saving him for the TV ceremony d'ya think?

They did miss him, they missed Liz Smith too I imagine she'll be included in the TV ceremony and I hope Burt is too.

They might, for his role in Tenko...

• Like 1

The TV one in 2011 snubbed Nick Courtney. I was well pissed off.

• Like 3