Cerberus

Sir Ranulph Fiennes

Heard some interesting news on the radio this morning. Sir Ranulph Fiennes (crazy name, crazy guy) is going to attempt a solo climb of Mount Everest, despite being 61, in indifferent health and with very little experience of mountaineering.

It's all for charity of course, so let's wish him well, but could he be about to go the same way as Mallory and Irvine?

Heard some interesting news on the radio this morning. Sir Ranulph Fiennes (crazy name, crazy guy) is going to attempt a solo climb of Mount Everest, despite being 61, in indifferent health and with very little experience of mountaineering.

I've never heard of that geezer. World famous in the UK, perhaps?

It's all for charity of course, so let's wish him well, but could he be about to go the same way as Mallory and Irvine?

A more interesting question: when will he try that? If it's this year he may well end up in the 'near misses' thread.

regards,

Hein

Guest atkin

interestingly he was talking on radio about how he'd gone for tests on his heart and lungs in some altitude thingydo. The results were not good, his lungs are not up to required standard and his insurance company have refused to cover him if anything goes wrong with them!

MH - he's doing the trek in the next few weeks.

I've never heard of that geezer. World famous in the UK, perhaps?

Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wickham-Fiennes, 3rd Baronet, OBE is a bit of a nutter. He was chucked out of the SAS for blowing up part of a film set and recently ran 7 marathons in 7 days on 7 continents shortly after having a heart attack. He's also done various pointless things like walking to places that are hard to get to and climbing big things.

Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wickham-Fiennes, 3rd Baronet, OBE is a bit of a nutter. He was chucked out of the SAS for blowing up part of a film set and recently ran 7 marathons in 7 days on 7 continents shortly after having a heart attack. He's also done various pointless things like walking to places that are hard to get to and climbing big things.

Ah, so he's a candidate for upper class twit of the year, then. :o

regards,

Hein

Guest JPK

He is classified as the greatest living explorer by the Guiness Book of Records, actually a true hero.

He is classified as the greatest living explorer by the Guiness Book of Records, actually a true hero.

How many living explorers are there? I managed to work my way unaided across the 'Magic Roundabout' in Swindon once, am I an explorer?

How many living explorers are there? I managed to work my way unaided across the 'Magic Roundabout' in Swindon once, am I an explorer?

Really, I just looked at the road sign and burst out laughing.

(Did you walk, or were you in a car?)

Really, I just looked at the road sign and burst out laughing.

(Did you walk, or were you in a car?)

Walk? Have you seen his legs? Just take a look at his avatar. It might look like he's getting plenty of exercise, but he seriously needs some physio on those chicken legs.

Guest One Man Jury
actually a true hero.

Cobblers! A true berk perhaps.

Swindon Magic Roundabout or, if your legs are up to it, the view from Mount Everest

When were these pictures taken? There's no traffic; a real explorer crosses it at 08:30!

Fiennes quits Everest summit bid

"Sir Ranulph Fiennes has abandoned his attempt to reach the summit of Mount Everest, his team has said. The 61-year-old was making his final move towards the 8,850 metre (29,035ft) peak when he was forced to pull out. A team spokesman said the explorer decided he was "pushing himself too hard", adding that poor conditions were also to blame."

Looks like he's become aware of his own mortality. Shame. :huh:

Sir Ranulph Fiennes is going to try and climb Everest again. His wife and his doctor think he might die of a heart attack if he attempts it. He's going to do it anyway.

S'cuse the crudity but......

Is that climb any more dangerous for his heart than climbing on top of a fiesty woman over twenty years his junior? Either way, he rocks!

According to today's Telegraph, Fiennes is likely to head up in the next week, says he's fully acclimatised, also says he's on oxygen a lot of the time.

Not wanting to belittle his attempt - I still think there's a good chance he will die if he makes the top (it's the coming back down that gets 'em) - the oxygen does make it a whole lot easier.

All the same, on top of all his heart problems, it does look as if he has a death wish although I think a better interpretation is that he doesn't give a f**k, just wants to get to the top. I didn't know about this attempt when I made my list at the end of last year. Otherwise he would definitely have been on it.

Good on him. He's a nutter but I don't say that disparagingly. There are nutters who are just plain nutters and there are nutters who inspire us and do good things. I would put Fiennes in the latter category. I will miss him.

Well, this is the year where celebrities are dying relatively young, so....

Hope he'll be alright. Barmy as a fruitcake he is, but in the best possible way.

According to the lunchtime news yesterday the attempt will be tomorrow (Sunday), it also stated that he has prostate cancer so this will be his last chance to make the climb.

Didn't get up, so there's a fair chance he will get down alright.

He's had a prang in his Jag. Fortunately, a full rescue team complete with St Bernard were at the scene within minutes.

He's had a prang in his Jag. Fortunately, a full rescue team complete with St Bernard were at the scene within minutes.

Ah, he was competing in the High Peak Marathon. I heard the news of his prang on the radio and was wondering what the hell he would be doing on the A6 in Stockport! Funnily enough, Iraq veteran Phil Packer was being interviewed on Radio 5 on Saturday morning about the Sport Relief 3 Peaks challenge he was undertaking with Sirs Steve Redgrave and Clive Woodward. He mentioned that he had wanted a third "Sir" which would have been Fiennes, but he had replied that he would not be able to take part due to it being his birthday on Sunday and he would have to be at home with his family. Maybe that's why he was in such a hurry (or maybe he didn't like the look of Stockport!)?

Latest report is that he may have "dozed off" at the wheel.

Ive gotta say, im in utter awe of this fella.

Frostbite, amputations, surviving in temperatures way below the entrance to a Nuns fanny, his toupe has seen the lot and AFAIK he has never left it stranded anywhere. How faithful a companion is that, eh?